Owning a wood deck can add to your home’s outdoor beauty. With its warm and welcoming space, it could be used as the stage for fun outdoor activities. Wood decks have many perks to them, but being exposed to different weather climates can hinder it from being inviting. Learning how to properly take care of your wood deck can help avoid it from becoming weathered and damaged. These helpful tips will help to keep your wood deck in tip top shape.
Wood Deck Cleaning Tips
The summertime brings lots of outdoor events, but also warm, dry weather. Now is a great time to do an inspection around your wood deck. Pay close attention to any planters, downspouts, or anything close to sources of water. When inspecting your deck:
- Look around for signs of rotting-this includes the stairs, the perimeter post, and on top/underneath the deck. Grab a flat-blade screwdriver and gently push it into the area that’s being inspected. If you can push your screwdriver in about a quarter-inch or more, you most likely have rot.
- Do an inspection of the ledger-pay close attention to this, as this is one of the most important pieces of framing because it attaches the wood deck to the house. If a ledger is damaged or broken, there’s a huge possibility that your deck will collapse. Your deck’s ledger should be attached with not just nails, but lag screws.
- Be sure to check the remaining posts, beams, and joists-if you notice that any of the hardware is rusted, please make sure to get them replaced as soon as possible.
- Look for rotted decking boards or cracks-not all cracks are threatening, BUT if you find any damage, replace the piece. If you choose to not deal with it now, overtime it’ll get worse. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Inspect the railing-give your railing a good shake to make sure that nothing is loose. If you notice that your railing is damaged or loose, simply remove the fastener and fill in the crack with an exterior-grade adhesive.
Taking care of your wood deck will help it to look brand new again. Before making any repairs to your wood deck, be sure to properly wash it with a pressure washer to remove any wood fibers or dirt from it. If you are interested in getting a deck installed in your backyard or have any questions about your wood deck, please don’t hesitate to contact us or you can fill out a free quote. Miles Bradley Building and Remodeling enjoys seeing our customers satisfied.